twittwer_bird facebook youtube

WHERE IS IT?

At 100 Duke Street in the East End, opposite the Tennents Brewery and just south of the Necropolis

The RF and J Alexander’s Cotton Spinning Mill was a six-storey structure built by Glasgow architect Charles Wilson in 1848, using water from the Molendinar Burn that runs alongside it. However, it was transformed into the Great Eastern Hotel for homeless working men in 1908 by Neil C Duff.

ALEXANDER MILL

CATHEDRAL PRECINCT

NEARBY

SIGHTS

Pin yellow large TENNENT'S BREWERY the NECROPOLIS Arrow white large back to INDUSTRIAL reverse-arrow Industrial-Alexanders-Mill-03 Industrial-Alexanders-Mill-02 Industrial-Alexanders-Mill-04 Industrial-Alexanders-Mill-01

The mill's fireproof construction has an outer rubble skin, beneath which rests a cast-iron frame supporting the brick vaults of the lower three floors. In contrast, mass concrete vaults supported by corrugated-iron arches maintained the upper floors, over which the roof was supported on light wrought-iron trusses. The original design was well regarded for its pioneering use of concrete, and was the oldest known building to have corrugated iron within its structure. The conversion to a hotel for homeless working men required all of the mill’s heavy textile machinery to be removed. Communal facilities were installed in the ground floor and basement, while residential cubicles made of wood were installed in the upper levels.

The hotel was closed in 2001, and although it was hoped the A-listed structure could be saved, but the mix of mass concrete and corrugated iron within the frame raised safety fears that it would collapse. The Milnbank Housing Association, who had acquired the building in 1995, put into place a £14 million redevelopment plan. This involved demolishing most of the building to be converted into over 100 flats, while retaining the front façade. The project was completed in late 2010.