twittwer_bird facebook youtube

As the Industrial Revolution took hold, Mile End was transformed into a boomed centre of labour, with a focus on the textile industry. With the dawn of the 20th Century, the area was a mesh of factories. Amidst the bulky workshops and derelict warehouses, there are also a number of churches spattered around, although only a few remain, and none are used as houses of worship anymore.

WHERE IS IT?

In the city’s East End, straddling the borders of Calton and Bridgeton, marked by bollards found on Crownpoint Road and London Road

Mile End used to be a small hamlet, sandwiched between nearby Bridgeton and Calton, until it was amalgamated with the latter in 1819. The name possibly derives from its one mile distance from Glasgow Cross.

MILE END

QUARTER

GLASGOW GREEN

NEARBY

SIGHTS

Pin yellow large GALLOWGATE TWINS CELTIC PARK Arrow white large back to INDUSTRIAL reverse-arrow Indus-Mile-End-Quarter-01 Indus-Mile-End-Quarter-02 Indus-Mile-End-Quarter-03 Indus-Mile-End-Quarter-04 Indus-Mile-End-Quarter-05

As industry fell, the area became almost forgotten. It is still today an industrial park, but many of the former buildings lie vacant and derelict. The East End Partnership has sought to rejuvenate the area. The organisation’s first step was to reclaim the area’s identity by erecting eight large bollards, each with MILE END QUARTER etched into the stone. To this end they have had limited success, although the area is now home to the Dornoch Street campus of Glasgow Metropolitan College, and also The Galleries on Broad Street, a modern business centre. Next door to this is the David Dale Gallery and Studios, a voluntary led organisation that has set up shop in a building that once belonged to David Dale College, named after the 18th Century philanthropist. Founded by four Glasgow School of Art graduates, it aims to help and encourage artists and provide them with space and tools.