twittwer_bird facebook youtube

The four storey structure was built for cotton merchant Robert Humphreys, but was later owned by Robert Thomson, who also owned the Adelphi Cotton Works. The original building was a plain cuboid shape, but sometime in the 1970s it appears that the fifth floor with large bay windows and the zig-zag roof were added. The mill was converted to offices in 1998, with the fake smoke statue added to the chimney as a memento to the past.

WHERE IS IT?

In the Gorbals district just South of the River Clyde, where Old Rutherglen Road meets Commercial Road

Commonly referred to as the Twomax Clothing Factory after the company that used to make its knitwear there, it was constructed between 1816 and 1817, and is the oldest surviving iron-framed fireproof building in the city.

OLD

COTTON

MILL

GLASGOW GREEN

NEARBY

SIGHTS

Pin yellow large ADELPHI SCHOOL GORBALS ROSE GARDEN Arrow white large back to INDUSTRIAL reverse-arrow Industrial-Old-Cotton-Mill01 Industrial-Old-Cotton-Mill03 Industrial-Old-Cotton-Mill02