WHERE IS IT? In the city centre, halfway along Mitchell Lane, which connects Buchanan Street with Mitchell Street.
Scotland’s national centre for design and architecture is found in the former Glasgow Herald building, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, his first public commission.
The most prominent feature of the structure is a castle like tower on the corner. Mackintosh built it to include over 8000 gallons of water, an early fire extinguisher system to protect goods inside should the building catch alight. Almost a century after it was built in 1895 and after two decades of lying abandoned, it was renovated and launched as The Lighthouse. Due to its Mackintosh heritage, it has a section devoted to the architect and artist’s life and work, as well as the history of the building itself. As well as other exhibits, The Lighthouse has positioned itself as a central hub for creativity in the city. As well as a lectures and workshops in a variety of fields, and the recent addition of a Digital Design Gallery, the centre holds a bi-monthly design market, allowing craftmakers to sell their works to the general public.