WHERE IS IT? On Gorbals Street, just south of the Sheriff Court and the Glasgow Central Mosque.
Tramway is an international art space and contemporary centre for performance, music, and film. One of Glasgow's newest threates, it inhabits a building brimming with history.
The building was originally built in 1893, acting as the city’s main tram terminal, as well as a depot and repair factory. When Glasgow’s tram network was decommissioned in the 1960s, the space was aptly used as the new Museum of Transport. Two decades later, the Museum of Transport moved to Kelvinhall, closer to the city centre and the University of Glasgow. The former tram shed lay vacant, and was faced with demolition before it was decided to utilise the space as part of the celebrations for Glasgow’s year as the City of Culture in 1990. The vast space lended itself to large scale theatre productions, and from small, one-off productions, the Tramway grew into an exciting space for Scottish and international artists. In 1998 the building was granted National Lottery funding in order to further renovate and improve the Tramway’s exhibition spaces, theatres and workshops, as well as creating additional space for the Scottish Ballet.
It was not until the new millennium that the Hidden Gardens were developed in the patch of land behind the Tramway by environmental arts charity NVA. The organisation takes its name from the Latin phrase nacionale vitae active, meaning the right to influence public affairs. The garden has a wide array of flora and fauna, celebrating diversity in all of nature.