WHERE? On Armadale Street, just off the main thoroughfare of Duke Street in Glasgow's East End.
Dennistoun New Parish Church has played host to a number of different congregations, including Dennistoun Central Church of Scotland, and also St. Kertigern’s Episcopal Church.
The original church was built in 1848 with support and funding from the Tennent brewing clan. Hugh Tennent paid for the church to be built after the Disruption of 1843, during which 450 ministers of the Church of Scotland broke away to form the Free Church of Scotland. This schism affected the Lady & Wellpark Chapel of Ease, which Tennent had donated land to. Three decades later, the church required a larger building, and in 1874 enlisted Glasgow architect firm James Salmon & Son. Shortly beforehand in 1868, James Salmon had been made the first President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects, with Alexander Thomson as his Vice-President. The back of the church was positioned almost opposite another, Dennistoun Blackfriars Church of Scotland, on Whitehill Street, although Dennistoun Parish proved to be grander with a majestic spire jutting 150 feet into the sky.
Since its construction, the church has undergone various name changes, from Rutherford United Free Church in 1900 and later Dennistoun Central Church of Scotland in 1929. In 1975 it was joined by two other congregations, one from Bluevale and Whitevale Church, and the second from Trinity Duke Street Church. The structure of the church has recently been renovated, during which it was sandblasted and repainted back to its former glory. The church also made history in 2003 when the Reverend Adah Younger was the first woman to be promoted to the position of Moderator within Glasgow.