WHERE? Found in Glasgow's West End on Dundonald Road, linked to Great Western Road via Victoria Circus.
This Normandy Gothic cathedral is Scotland’s only Orthodox Cathedral, serving Greeks and Cypriots, as well as other Orthodox communities such as Serbian, Russian and Romanian.
The building itself was originally designed by Glasgow architect James Sellars, whose grand works can be seen all over the city, including the St. Andrew Halls (now Mitchell Theatre), the House of Fraser’s department store building on Buchanan Street, and also the Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park. Heavily inspired by the centuries old Dunblane Cathedral, it was constructed as the Bellhaven Church in 1877 to serve the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
During the middle of the 20th Century, the Belhaven Church congregation was amalgamated into a neighbouring one. With the Church of Scotland no longer requiring the building, it was converted into the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in 1960 with a donation from Sir Reo Stakis, a Scottish-Cypriot hotel magnate. A strong supporter of his community, Sir Stakis had also bought the first church for them in 1953. In a small twist of fate, when he passed away in 2001, Sir Stakis was buried in Dunblane Cemetery, near the Dunblane Cathedral that had inspired the design of the Bellhaven Church he would later buy.