WHERE? In Glasgow's West End, halfway along Hyndland Road, a short walk from St. Bride's Scottish Episcopal Church.
Designed by architect William Lepier, well known for his churches as well as the Templeton Carpet Factory, the A-listed Hyndland Parish Church was completed in 1887.
While Leiper often favoured Gothic design, he moved towards a more medieval approach for this project. Constructed from Ballochmyle red sandstone, it was originally meant to include a steeple, but due to costs this was never realised. Leiper was forced to compromise on the quality of the windows, with plain glazing instead of the more decorative stained glass that decorated many of his other churches, such as Dowanhill. It was not until 1921 that the church was fitted with its first stained glass windows, dubbed “Sacrifice and Joy,” depicting an angel reading a scroll of Psalm 148. Gifted to the church by John and William Guthrie, it is believed they were designed by Norman MacDougall. In a small twist of fate, MacDougall had worked for Daniel Cottier in London for 18 years, while Cottier had collaborated with Leiper on Dowanhill Church’s stained glass decades before.
Other stained glass pieces would be fitted over the coming decades, designed by old masters such as Douglas Strachan, Alf Webster and later his son Gordon, as well as new talent such as Rab MacInnes. During the mid-1990s, the church underwent extensive restorative work, supported by Historic Scotland, after which MacInnes’s Community window was fitted.