One of the slimmest spires across Europe, it measures 218 feet (just over 66 metres) and was built in 1863 from a design by prolific Glasgow architect John Honeyman, with stained glass windows provided by father and son team Alfred and Gordon Webster.
Honeyman was a central figure during the mid-19th Century; as well as publishing a number of pioneering papers, including “The Age of Glasgow Cathedral” and “The Drainage of Glasgow,” he was a member of the Institute of Architects in Scotland and co-founder of both the Glasgow Archaeological Society in 1856 and the Glasgow Architectural Society in 1858. Although he had a turbulent career that nearly saw him bankrupt, he eventually formed a fruitful partnership with John Keppie. Their firm would later take on a young assistant, one Charles Rennie Mackintosh. When Honeyman retired in 1901 when it became apparent he was losing his sight, he generously arranged it so Macintosh could buy him out without having to raise any capital. He was helped through his later blindness by his son Herbert, whom he in turn inspired with his love of archaeology to eventually become an architect.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.