twittwer_bird facebook youtube

Baldie mixed the Gothic design with the early English gable, with tabernacles above the broaches of the spire on the south-west corner, a carved finial and a clock face on each of the four sides. The west side of the church is divided by buttresses into five bays, each having two single-light windows with hood-moldings and carved terminals.

Religious-Pollokshields-Church-03 Religious-Pollokshields-Church-04

WHERE IS IT?

In the city's south side, on the corner of Shields Road and Albert Drive, diagonally across from Alexander Thomson's The Knowe

Originally built as the Pollokshields Established Church, it was designed and built by Stirling born architect Robert Baldie in 1878.

POLLOKSHIELDS CHURCH OF SCOTLAND

THE KNOWE

NEARBY

SIGHTS

Pin yellow large GLASGOW GURDWARA TRAMWAY THEATRE back to RELIGIOUS reverse-arrow Arrow white large

CALEDONIA ROAD FREE CHURCH

WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.

Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.

Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.

 

 

Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.

Emirates-Arena-Glasgow-Header-340