In many respects the design is similar to that of the Art School, although on a much smaller scale; the hall is dwarfed by the Ruchill Kelvinside Parish Church adjacent to it. Completed in 1899, the hall was originally designed as a mission space for the then Free Church of Scotland, and has changed very little since. The adjacent church, Ruchill Kelvinside Parish, was built six years later in 1905, to accommodate the large congregations that gathered in the hall. The lack of modernisation allows visitors to see the building as it was a century ago. The Parish Church use the hall for meetings, and also run a Mackintosh Tea Room so you can have a cup of tea while enjoying the architecture.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.