Named after Sherbrooke Avenue where it is located, named after the first family to build on the street, the church hall’s foundations were laid in 1894. Construction of the church itself did not begin until 1898, so that the church could better judge their membership numbers and address budgetary concerns. It officially opened on the 23rd December, 1900 with a price tag of £14,000. The church underwent some name changes as the religious landscape changed, but by 1929 it had settled on the simple Sherbrooke Church. However, in 1942, when the church joined with another, St. Gilberts, named after Gilbert de Moravia of Caithness, the names were fused to become Sherbrooke St. Gilbert Church.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.