twittwer_bird facebook youtube

Because of this association, the grade B listed building is often referred to as the Highland Cathedral. It was designed by the architecture firm Tennant and Burke, which had formed after William Tennant’s partner, renowned church architect Robert Baldie, had died in 1890. The church is the only building the pair built together; a year after its completion the partnership was dissolved due to Burke’s alcoholism.

religious-st-colombia-03 religious-st-colombia-01 religious-st-colombia-02

ST. COLUMBA GAELIC CHURCH OF SCOTLAND

WHERE IS IT?

In the city centre, on St. Vincents Street, near Charing Cross and diagonally opposite the St. Vincent's Street Church

While the gothic church building on St. Vincent’s Street dates back to 1904, St. Columbia’s congregation’s history dates back much further to 1770, established for Glasgow’s Gaelic-speaking citizens that had emigrated south from the Highlands and Islands.

ST. VINCENT STREET CHURCH

NEARBY

SIGHTS

Pin yellow large GLASGOW ACADEMY / HIGH SCHOOL KINGS' THEATRE Arrow white large back to RELIGIOUS reverse-arrow

CALEDONIA ROAD FREE CHURCH

WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.

Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.

Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.

 

 

Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.

Emirates-Arena-Glasgow-Header-340