A competition to find a suitable design was launched in 1927, eventually won by architect John Taylor Thomson. In 1931, a year after the church was completed, the architect went on to marry Wilhelmina Coutts Malcolm within the walls he had built. Crafted in the Gothic Rival style favoured at the time, the external stone was sourced from Auchenheath, while the internal walls were built with Northumbrian stone. The most notable feature is the ornate, open-work lead fleche adorning the roof, which was restored in 2009 as part of a grant-funded conversion project. The church also sports a number of tall stained glass windows crafted by eminent glaziers Douglas Strachan and Gordon Webster.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.