It was built in 1842 following a three year fundraising tour of Ireland by Father Peter Forbes, who was made the church’s first parish priest. Now a grade A listed building, it is not known who drew up the design. George Goldie and Charles Edwin Child of architecture firm Goldie and Child were originally given credit, as they carried out a number of renovations in 1870, but their firm had formed after the church was built. A number of major renovations were carried out by Glasgow firm Page and Park between 2004 and 2006, which included a complete renewal of the roof, as well as restoring the stain glass windows. In 2008 the funeral of former Celtic F.C. manager Tommy Burns took place in the church, while between 2009 and 2011 it served as the Pro-Cathedral while the mother church, St. Andrew’s, underwent restoration.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.