Augustus died only a year after Peter was born, but his legacy lived on when both Peter and his half-brother Edward set up the family architecture firm Pugin & Pugin. Despite their offices being in London and Liverpool, many of Peter’s clients were Scottish, and so he maintained an office in Glasgow. He provided designs for over fifty of Scotland’s churches, but it was only after Edward passed away in 1875 that Peter stepped out of his brother and father’s shadow to develop his own, curvilinear Gothic style, usually in Glasgow’s characteristic red sandstone. He also began to craft elaborate altarpieces in different coloured marbles. St. Peter’s was completed in 1903, making it on the last, and possibly finest church Pugin designed before his death in 1904. His firm was continued by his nephew Sebastian, who provided additional work to St. Peter’s in 1909.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.