Designed in 1880 by famous architect John Honeyman, he opted for an Italian Renaissance style, complete with Ionic columns and twin bell towers. Immediately inside there is a colourful entrance vestibule, while the airy main hall is decorated with nine stained glass windows by Douglas Strachan, fitted much later in 1920. The building was originally known as the Belhaven-Westbourne Free Church, which was then changed to the Great Western Road Free Church prior to Struthers taking it over.
WHERE? On a traffic island in the Gorbals district, near the start of Caledonia Road, where Cathcart Road and Laurieston Road diverge.
Standing tall, a proud survivor of the ages, Alexander “Greek” Thomson’s church rests on an odd traffic island that marks the former junction between Caledonia Rd and Cathcart Rd.
Thought to be Thomson’s first stab at designing a church, the building was mostly destroyed by a fire in 1965. Although now a Grade A-listed building, the church has lay derelict and abandoned for half a century, watching as the city around it has changed, but with a certain stubborn Scottish pride serving as a reminder of a grander past.
Across from the church on a small traffic island sits the box-like No.8 Corporation Weigh Office, which acted as a stop point for vehicles to be weighed, back in the days when they were not so frequent on the roads.