WHERE? In the North-West of the city centre, just off Maryhill Road and just a hop across the River Kelvin to Ruchill Park.
The home of Glasgow’s third football team, Partick Thistle, is found north of the city centre in the Maryhill area.
The team, nicknamed the Jags, was originally based in Partick since their inception in 1876, and played in a variety of different arenas over the following three decades. Prior to their final home in Firhill, the wandering nomads played in Kelvingrove, Muir Park, and Jordanvale, with their longest stint at Meadowside, until they were evicted to make way for a shipyard on the banks of the Clyde in 1908. Although the stadium resembles the style of Archibald Leitch, who had a hand in both Ibrox Stadium and Celtic Park, Firhill was designed by his former colleague, David Mills Duncan. It is much smaller than its rivals, with an original capacity of nearly 55,000. This was reduced to just over 20,000 in the 1970s to comply with safety regulations.
While the ground has been shared by other teams, including Clyde and Hamilton, as well as various rugby teams, it has always been home to the Jags. This nearly came to an end in the 1990s, when after carrying out improvements to Firhill, including undersoil heating and the construction of the Jackie Husband stand, financial problems nearly bankrupted the club. Although they survived, they were ejected to the third division, an event echoed two decades later when Rangers were also sent to the bottom divsion went they went into administration. On their return to the SPL, under the direction of manager John Lambie, the North Stand was built to increase the seating capacity to 10,000, a requirement for admittance into the SPL. However, after Lambie’s retirement after their first successful season in the top flight, the club went through a number of managers as they yo-yoed up and down the divisions.