WHERE? In the West End of the city on Sauchiehall Street, directly across from Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Found opposite the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, it is built on the site previous occupied by the Industrial Hall, a space used for the Glasgow International Exhibition in 1901.
The hall burned down in 1925, and two years later Kelvin Hall arose from the ashes. It was designed by Glasgow architect Thomas Peter Miller Somers, the Council’s the Master of Works and City Engineer, appointed to the post the same year that the Industrial Hall was destroyed by fire. Fire sadly followed Somers in his life, and eventually claimed it in a house fire in 1965. Although best known as a sports venue, Kelvin Hall was originally used for a variety of functions, events and exhibitions such as rallies, festivals. concerts, circus acts, religious preaching, and even as a convoy factory during World War II. After the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre was opened on the banks of the Clyde in 1985, Kelvin Hall received a much needed make-over to become the International Sports Arena that exists now. The renovation also added a side hall, build to house the Museum of Transport, which moved from the Tramway in Pollockshields. It has more recently moved to the purpose-built Glasgow Riverside Museum.