pinterest twittwer_bird

Support Our

Weegie Website

THE CITY CENTRE Thomson-Grecian-06 Thomson-StV-Church-04 Thomson-WestNileStreet04 Thomson-Grosvenor04 Thomson-EgyptianHalls01 Thomson-Bucks-Head-06

Thomson’s existing works are spread across the four corners of the city, and it would be an arduous task to attempt to visit them all in one go. Instead we have designed three walks covering the three areas where his surviving works are clustered – the City Centre, the West End, and the South Side.

THE ALEXANDER 'GREEK' THOMSON TOUR

THE THOMSON TOUR

4

1

Designed by Alexander “Greek” Thomson in 1862, the building gets its rather odd name from the deer statue that adorns the top, created by one of Glasgow's best known sculptors, John Mossman. The name comes from the Buck’s Head Hotel, which previously occupied the land

3

The Grosvenor Building has recently been renovated into a modern luxury business office complex. Thomson’s original 1861 building had extra floors added to it in 1907, designed by James Hoey Craigie, who made tremendous effort to imitate Thomson’s style.

The best example of Thomson’s three churches, and the only one to remain intact, St. Vincent’s Street Church was granted a category A-listed status after Glasgow City Council saved the building in the 1960s, buying it up and restoring it to its former glory.

2

Despite its prime location across from Central Station, the Egyptian Halls lay vacant for almost over 30 years since the 1980s. Thankfully they became the focus of a major regeneration effort to save the listed building by transforming it into a hotel with retail outlets.

Having lived decades before C. R. Mackintosh emerged as the herald of Glasgow design, Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson’s influence upon the city is prevalent in the present day, with many of his works remaining intact.

1. Bucks Head Building

2. Egyptian Halls

3. Grosvenor Building

4. St. Vincent Street Church

5. Grecian Chambers

6. West Nile Street

6

5

The symmetrical design of the Grecian Chambers stands as the perfect illustration of Thomson’s commercial work. Completed in 1865, the roof was rebuilt in 1902 following a devastating fire. It was later refurbished in 2001 by architecture firm Page/Park as a new home for the CCA.

99 – 107 West Nile Street is one of Thomson’s earliest and smallest commercial buildings; a small office block and warehouse to the rear. It best serves as a guide to the evolution of Thomson’s style, especially when compared to the Grecian Chambers built a decade later.

THE SOUTH SIDE THE WEST END