The building contained a concert hall, club room, reading room and gymnasium. The short tower that rises from the corner was built as a separate apartment for a live-in caretaker. It was later bought by the Glasgow School or Art, after the Highland Light infantry merged with the 52nd Lowland Volunteers in 1967. It was renamed the Haldane Building, which houses the school’s Careers Service, the Department of Ceramics, and also the Fine Art workshops. It was named after the famous Glasgow engraver James Haldane, whose organisation, the Haldane Trust, made a contribution to the school in 1853 to fulfil Haldane’s dying wish that scholarships be set up in his name.