The corner building was actually an extension to the existing Glasgow Savings Bank Building, which lay behind it. By a strange twist of fate, the original building was designed and built by John Burnet in 1865, while the single-story banking hall crowned with the copper dome was conceived and constructed by his son, John James Burnet, almost thirty years later in 1894. The younger Burnet’s building showed a grand sense of style, decorated with a series of sculptures created by artist George Frampton with additional carving by William Shirreffs. The ornate carving about the doorway depicts St. Mungo clutching a sceptre, with the city crest underneath. At his side, two crouching men hold the roof of the bank on their backs, like Atlus carrying the world.
The Glasgow Savings bank stopped trading after the 1976 TSB Act meant that an entirely new structure was introduced to savings banking. Glasgow fell under the West of Scotland TSB, and the Savings Bank later became TSB Bank Scotland in 1989 after a successful stock exchange flotation three years earlier. The bank merged with Lloyds Bank in 1995, although it has since split away in 2013. However, shortly after the merger, Lloyds TSB vacated the Ingram Street building in 1999. It lay vacant for several years, before Italian fashion house Emporio Armani opened up shop inside. In 2003 it changed hands with retailer Jigsaw, and the company has been resident ever since.