Salmon, a third generation architect, commenced construction of the building in 1899, and completed it a few years later in 1902. The unusual design offers a true 3D perspective, with the two towers of bay windows sandwiching the central recess. It was renovated in 1990 and converted into offices, but many features of the A-listed structure were retained, including the stained-glass windows on the ground floor, as well as the original, tight squeezed wrought iron elevator.
WHERE IS IT?
In the city centre at 144 St. Vincent Street, just off of Hope Street, two blocks north of Central Station
The aptly named Hatrack Building sports a tall, slender Art Nouveau design from architect James Salmon. Although officially known as St. Vincent Chambers, the building’s nickname derives from the oriental-style iron cupola and the projecting finials that back in the day looked like the hooks of a hat rack.
OLD DAILY RECORD BUILDING
back to VICTORIAN