The original bridge opened for business in 1879, although it was extended in 1905 to accommodate the large volumes of people visiting the city. The station was designed by Scottish Victorian architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, while the extension was handled by James Miller. In 1998 Bovis Lend Lease managed extensive refurbishments, both internally and externally. Heilanman’s Umbrella’s Venetian style windows were reglazed, and the large, golden “Central Station” signage was added towards the tail-end of the renovations in 2000. The company also renovated the lower-level station entrance and retail spaces under the bridge, installing high powered lighting and enhanced extractor fans.