The building itself was designed by architect Henry Edward Clifford in 1888, one of the first since going solo, after his short partnership with William Landless was dissolved the year before. He was at the time living nearby at a school in Pollokshields run by his mother and sister, and it may be this link that secured the Burgh Hall commission for him. He used the typical Victorian dark red sandstone, which caused concern among locals as it contrasted greatly with the surrounding blonde sandstone buildings. As with the similarly named Pollokshaws Burgh Hall located further south, the design reflects the benefactors, with the Maxwell coat of arms carved into the stonework above the main entrance, protected by two lions on either side. The coat of arms can be spied again upon entering the building, set in marble upon the lobby floor.
The Burgh Hall was opened in 1890, initially used as a Masonic Meeting Place. Several of the stained glass windows were donated by members of the lodge. However, Pollokshields area was consumed by the expanding reach of Glasgow City the following year. After this expansion it was also used as a court room and also housed various council offices, including the Social Work Department of Strathclyde regional Council for 1975, until it was put on the market by the Council in 1982. The now derelict building was eventually sold to the Pollokshields Burgh Hall Trust in 1986 for £1, although the title deeds were not transferred until 1991, on the proviso that the building would be restored within a five year period. After receiving the necessary funding from Historic Scotland, the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Glasgow City Council and the Glasgow Development Agency, the building was full renovated and reopened in 1997. It is now used for meetings, conferences, and wedding functions.