twittwer_bird facebook youtube

The curved red sandstone tenement block is similar to that of Charing Cross Mansions, which lies on the opposite side of the motorway divide. This was coincidentally design by Sir John James Burnet, although he is of no relation to Frank. St. George’s Mansions refers to St. George’s Cross, located just north of Charing Cross. It was commissioned by the City Improvement Trust, an organisation that was formed to regenerate some of the city’s poorer housing areas in the 19th century. Frank Burnet & Boston would go on to work with the City Improvement Trust again, building several tenement blocks throughout Glasgow.

WHERE IS IT?

At Charing Cross, where the city centre ends and the West End begins, overlooking the M8 Motorway.

Built at the end of the Victorian Era in 1901, St. George’s Mansions were designed by the architecture firm Frank Burnet & Boston, Boston referring to Burnet’s former assistant turned partner William James Boston. Another architect at the firm, James Carruthers, was involved with the building.

ST. GEORGE'S

MANSIONS

ST. GEORGE & THE DRAGON

NEARBY

SIGHTS

Pin yellow large CHARING CROSS MANSIONS LOBEY DOSSER Arrow white large back to VICTORIAN reverse-arrow Victorian-St-Georges-Mansions-01 Victorian-St-Georges-Mansions-02