The Victoria Infirmary, named after the reigning monarch, officially opened on Valentine’s Day 1890 with a capacity of just 84 beds. The original design by Campbell Douglas and James Sellars was constructed in three parts. The first, was an administration block and the first pavilions, while the second, built between 1891 and 1893, added an extra pavilion and also a residence for the nurses. The third part came somewhat later in 1899, and was finished in 1901, just as the hospital’s namesake Queen Victoria died, thus ending her reign and the era. It consisted of an isolation pavilion, as well as several new operating theatres.
A quarter of a century later, a number of other well-known architects and firms worked on the hospital. Henry Edward Clifford had designed a new ward pavilion and other out buildings between 1902 and 1906, but they were not completed until the early 1930s by the firm Watson, Salmond & Gray. This firm were responsible for the extensions and additions to the hospital from this era until the 1960s, when a laboratory and mortuary were added after the Victoria Infirmary became a designated teaching hospital.