WHERE IS IT? In the West End, adjacent to Kelvingrove Park and Kelvin Hall, with the University of Glasgow looming on the hill above.
The Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum is the pride of Glasgow and the most popular free museum in Scotland, with over 8000 pieces of work housed in twenty-two themed galleries.
The first thing that may strike you above the Kelvingrove Museum is that it appears to have been built backwards, with the main entrance facing the River Kelvin and the nearby University of Glasgow, rather than the busy Argyle Street from which most pedestrians will approach. While this was always intended to be the case, an urban rumour to this day perpetuates that the architects, Sir John. W. Simpson and E.J Milner Allen, leapt to their deaths upon seeing the error.
This is, to borrow a local phrase, a pile of utter mince.
Officially opened in 1901, the late Victorian building is now, since its recent £25 million refurbishments between 2003 and 2006, the most popular free museum in all of Scotland. Tourists flock here to see one of the most impressive collections of arms and armour in the entire world, including an actual Spitfire aeroplane, as well as exquisite European art from various eras, as well as homegrown talents and graduates of the Glasgow Art School. One of its most famous pieces is Christ of Saint John of the Cross by prominent Spanish artist Salvador Dali.