WHERE IS IT? The park stretches from Kelvingrove Museum and alongside the University of Glasgow on Kelvin Way
Resting between the upper-class Park Circus, the University of Glasgow and Kelvingrove Museum, this parkland was originally created to cater to the middle classes that migrated west during the Industrial Revolution.
Thought to be Glasgow’s first ‘common land,’ it is named for the River Kelvin which flows through the park. The layout of the park with its paths cutting down the hillside was designed by English Gardner Sir Joseph Paxton, the leading landscaper at the time and perhaps most famous for his work on London’s Crystal Palace.
The park is home to three war memorial statues; the Highland Light Infantry Memorial, the Cameronian Rifles Memorial, and the Lord Roberts Monument commemorating Field Marshall Earl Roberts of Kandahar. As well as points of heritage such as the Stewart Memorial Fountain, built for Lord Provost Robert Stewart, and statues of scientist Lord Kelvin and Field Marshall Lord Roberts, the park contains a large play area for children, and an extended skate park adjoining it.
1. Cameronian Rifles Memorial by Paul Lindsey Clark (1924)
2. Port Sunlight Cottages by James Miller (1901)
3. The Vital Spark by George Wyllie
4. Lord Lister Monument by George Henry Paulin (1924)
5. Lord Kelvin Monument by Archibald Macfarlane Shannan (1908)
6. Kelvingrove Bandstand (1924-25)
7. Carlyle Monument by William Kellock Brown (1916)
8. An Clachan Memorial (1911)
9. Highland Light Infantry Memorial by William Birnie Rhind (1906)
10. Lord Roberts Monument by Harry Bates (original in Calcutta, 1888) duplicated by Henry Poole (1916)
11. Bengal Tigress by Auguste-Nicolas Cain (statue) and John Mossman (base)(1867)
12. Park Gardens Staircase by Charles Wilson (1855)
13. Stewart Memorial Fountain by James Sellars, John Mossman and James Young (1871-72)
The bridge was designed by architect David Hamilton, who, along with his son James, also designed the main gates which grant access to the cemetery. The monuments and headstones swirl around the hill the site is built on up to the top, where a statue of famous Scots clergyman John Knox stands, predating the Necropolis by a decade.
Among the 50,000 people buried there, one of the most famous is Andrew McCall. While there is little information on McCall himself, the Celtic Cross that marks his final resting place is believed to be the first solo commission of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Unfortunately, the cross was damaged during renovations to the Necropolis.
We recommend a morning viewing, as in the evening the smell of hops from the nearby Tennents Wellpark Brewery can be overwhelming.