WHERE IS IT? In the southside of Glasgow, a short walk from Queen's Park, overlooking the Pollockshields West train station
Moray Place holds a special appeal to fans of Alexander Thomson and his work. The architect and his family were the first tenants of No.1 Moray Place when it was completed in 1861.
The house is also sadly where Alexander Thomson passed away on the 22nd of March 1875. Although the two-storey terrace was built in a symmetrical style, after the death of Thomson’s wife Jane in 1899, an extension was built onto No.1, designed by John Binnie Wilson and breaking the symmetry.
The building holds true to many of Thomson’s traditions; the colonnade on the upper level, the rectilinear pattern that wraps around the ground floor, the sectioned ornamental stonework and tall, decorated, lotus-shaped chimney pots. However, despite being A-listed, the terrace has fallen into some disrepair, due to cleaning of the stone removing the protective layer, exposing the weaker stone underneath to the elements.