OLD DAILY RECORD BUILDING
WHERE IS IT? It houses Stereo bar in the city centre, tucked away along Renfield Lane, just one street north of Central Station
Located up the very narrow and slightly dodgy-looking (but entire safe) Renfield Lane, it is almost impossible to appreciate the design of the building due to the restricted view.
Designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, it features some similar concepts used in the construction of another newspaper building by his hand, the Glasgow Herald. The most prominent similarity is the water tower turret in the corner.
The building was home to the Glasgow newspaper the Daily Record from its very first issue in 1895 until the paper moved to Hope Street in 1926. It is still possible to see some of the design aspects from street level, including the mosaic tiles at the top, which will remind the gamers among you of the Triforce from Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda series.
The building is now home to the highly recommended Stereo cafe/bar, music and arts venue.